The simple version:
whatever veggies you find at the market with pasta and a vinaigrette
The Detailed version:
300g Pasta, Something short like penne or fusilli.
I like to use Nature’s Farm Pasta or a good Italian brand. If you are going to the St. Norbert Farmers Market you can pick up some fresh pasta from The Mitchell Block
500 g zucchini or summer squash
100 g sun dried tomatoes (or slow roast some fresh tomatoes)
100 g arugula (or other green)
30 g flat leaf parsley
30 g fresh basil
any other herbs that inspire you
45 ml olive oil
15 ml red wine vinegar
5 ml grainy mustard
salt and pepper to taste
- boil the pasta, drain, rinse and cool
- slice zucchini, toss with a little olive oil. sprinkle with salt and pepper. grill on bbq til just starting to char. cool
- chop herbs coarsely, slice tomatoes
- combine oil, vinegar and mustard together to make a vinaigrette
- toss pasta with zucchini, herbs, tomato and arugula. Toss with vinaigrette.
- Serve. This salad is nice with a little crumbled feta or shaved parmesan.
This Salad is great with fresh corn on the cob, grilled with the zucchini, fresh cherry tomatoes, or any nice seasonal veggies. To make a meal out of this, just top it with a grilled chicken breast or some nice Italian sausage and of course, a nice hunk of freshly baked sourdough.